US President Donald Trump on Monday supplied to mediate on the decades-long Kashmir dispute between India and Pakistan, a transfer that may sign a shift in long-standing US coverage that the difficulty should be solved bilaterally.
“If I can assist, I might like to be a mediator,” Trump stated on the White Home, the place he was internet hosting Prime Minister Imran Khan. “If I can do something to assist, let me know.”
President Trump stated the US is prepared to spend money on Pakistan and sees nice commerce relationship between the 2 countries. He additionally stated that Washington is working with Islamabad to discover a approach out of the conflict in Afghanistan.
Trump held out the potential of restoring US support to Pakistan, relying upon what’s labored out, and supplied help to Islamabad in attempting to ease strained ties with India.
“I don’t assume Pakistan revered the US” up to now, Trump stated, however “they’re serving to us loads now,” Trump was quoted by AFP as saying.
“We’ve got nice potential for relations with Pakistan, I actually assume ties between our two international locations have by no means been higher,” he stated. “I’ve a lot of Pakistani mates… they’re actually robust and sensible individuals,” he added.
Prime Minister Imran informed President Trump there was just one resolution for Afghanistan and peace take care of the Taliban was nearer than it had ever been. He stated he hoped within the coming days to have the ability to urge the Taliban to proceed the talks.
Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa additionally visited the White Home and warmly obtained by President Trump on arrival.
Official working luncheon was additionally held on the White House.
US First Girl Melania Trump took to Twitter to welcome PM Imran on the White House.
— Melania Trump (@FLOTUS) July 22, 2019
Earlier, the prime minister was obtained by the US president on arriving on the White Home on his maiden visit to the US. PM Imran, who was accompanied by Overseas Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, waved at those that got here to welcome him exterior the Government Mansion.
President Trump obtained PM Imran Khan on the White Home on Monday. A senior US admin official has stated forward of assembly “US will press for concrete cooperation from Pak to advance Afghan peace course of” & “deepen & maintain its crackdown towards militants inside its territory”. pic.twitter.com/a7ud5zXuZD
— VOA DEEWA (@voadeewa) July 22, 2019
— The White Home (@WhiteHouse) July 22, 2019
A number of points had been mentioned by the 2 leaders as efforts made to enhance bilateral relations which nose-dived following Trump’s notorious Jan 1 tweet.
The US chief can be anticipated to accompany the premier on a tour of the White House, stated Overseas Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi. He added that it’ll give extra time to “mingle and chat”.
The go to will develop bilateral cooperation on commerce and funding in addition to work towards peace in South Asia at giant and Afghanistan specifically, reported Radio Pakistan.
The journey was initially deliberate in June however was postponed due to the PM’s prior home engagements, together with the federal price range.
Pakistani officers, nevertheless, really feel that direct interplay between PM Imran and Trump can assist deal with among the misgivings.
President Trump will host a working luncheon to PM Imran, which may also be attended by Cupboard members and senior Pentagon leaders.
PM Imran may also work together with high American lawmakers and Pakistan Caucus on Capitol Hill.
Overseas Minister Qureshi, Adviser to Prime Minister on Commerce Abdul Razzaq Dawood, Particular Assistant on Abroad Zulfikar Bukhari and Military Chief Basic Qamar Javed Bajwa, are accompanying the prime minister.
‘Working towards peace, stability, and prosperity’
In the meantime, the White Home has issued a ‘fact sheet’ over Prime Minister Imran’s visit to the US, stating that President Trump needs to work with Pakistan to attain peace, stability, and financial prosperity within the area.
- President Trump is working to strengthen cooperation with Pakistan on points which might be important to the peace, stability, and prosperity of the South Asia area.
- President Trump has made clear that he needs to see peace and stability within the area. The US president acknowledges the preliminary steps Pakistan has taken to enhance regional safety and counter terrorism.
- Pakistan has made efforts to facilitate the Afghanistan peace talks, and Islamabad will likely be requested to additional improve its efforts.
- The trail to a robust and enduring partnership between Pakistan and the US lies in working collectively to discover a peaceable decision of the battle in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan has taken some steps towards terrorist teams working inside Pakistan.
- It’s critical that Pakistan take motion to close down all teams as soon as and for all.
- America and Pakistan get pleasure from a robust financial partnership that advantages each of nations.
- America and Pakistan set a brand new file for bilateral commerce in 2018 of $6.6 billion.
- United States exports to Pakistan reached a file excessive of $2.8 billion in 2018, supporting roughly 10,000 American jobs.
- America is the most important export marketplace for Pakistan’s items.
- Our commerce relationship with Pakistan has been particularly useful for American farmers.
- America exported $1.four billion in agricultural merchandise to Pakistan in 2018.
- Over the previous 15 years, the US has been one of many high 5 traders in Pakistan.
- American power producers are seeing increasingly enterprise alternatives with Pakistan.
- American corporations are incorporating cutting-edge applied sciences into power tasks all through Pakistan.
- American corporations have competed to win greater than $three billion in energy-related enterprise in Pakistan.
- Pakistan has bought in depth quantities of American liquefied pure fuel (LNG), together with 22.eight billion cubic ft of LNG from March 2017 to April 2019.
- ExxonMobil reestablished its presence in Pakistan in 2018 after 27 years and is working to extend LNG imports.
Navy management accompanies the PM
In the meantime, Director General Inter-Providers Public Relations (ISPR) Main Basic Asif Ghafoor has stated Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa will likely be a part of Prime Minister Imran Khan’s delegation throughout a gathering with US President Donald Trump on the White Home.
In a tweet, he stated Gen Bajwa may also go to Pentagon to interact with Appearing Secretary Protection Richard Spencer, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joseph Dunford and Chief of Staff of US Military Gen Mark A Milley.