fbpx
Connect with us

Entertainment

Robert DDowney Jr. Criticized For His Ironic Use of Blackface in Tropic Thunder

Published

on

Robert Downey Jr. Criticized For His Ironic Use of Blackface in ‘Tropic Thunder’

The actor has come underneath fireplace on Twitter from customers who’ve lately found his function in Ben Stiller’s 2008 satire Tropic Thunderhowever didn’t appear to do their analysis earlier than criticizing the movie. Robert Downey Jr. is going through backlash right this moment for a comedy function he performed over a decade in the past.

Tropic Thunder, written by Ben Stiller, Justin Theroux, and Etan Cohen, is without doubt one of the extra memorable comedies of the century up to now for the best way it rolled its eyes on the extra pretentious and useless denizens of Hollywood, as portrayed within the movie by Stiller and Robert Downey Jr. The movie revolves across the making of a Vietnam Battle film, with Downey Jr. taking part in Kirk Lazarus, an Australian actor who’s so dedicated to Technique appearing that he will get “pigmentation alteration” surgical procedure as a way to authentically painting a Black sergeant.

In the present day, although, a Twitter mob that didn’t acknowledge the satirical tone of Tropic Thunder  jumped to accuse Downey Jr. of deliberately and non-ironically darkening his pores and skin within the movie.

Keep in mind that time Robert Downey jr did full blackface and no person stated ANYTHING,” tweeted one consumer, with others piling on to criticize Downey Jr. for the function and query why he by no means apologized.

There was swift backlash to the tweets from Tropic Thunder followers, who defended Downey Jr. and reminded critics concerning the story behind the character he performed. “I see we’re at that magical time of the yr once more when somebody on right here clearly doesn’t perceive the jokes in Tropic Thunder, so now all of us need to take day trip of our day to clarify it to them. Don’t fear, we will all get via it collectively,” one consumer tweeted.

Robert Downey Jr. Criticized For His Ironic Use of Blackface in ‘Tropic Thunder’

Downey Jr. has defended the role previously, telling Joe Rogan on his podcast this yr why he selected to play Kirk Lazarus. Per IndieWire: “I [got] to carry as much as nature the insane self-involved hypocrisy of artists and what they assume they’re allowed to do occasionally, simply my opinion,” he stated. “And 90 per cent of my Black buddies have been like, ‘Dude, that was nice.’ I can’t disagree with [the other 10 per cent], however I do know the place my coronary heart lies…In my protectionTropic Thunder is about how fallacious [blackface] is, so I take exception.”

See the controversy for your self beneath:

Hassan Zia is an accomplished News writer & working journalist in the industry for over 5 years. At Pakistan print media he established his skills in writing and publishing multiple news stories of daily reporting beats ranging from crime, drama, business, entertainment. An activist at heart Zia believes in sensitizing audiences on issues of social justice and equality. Using powerful technique of storytelling on humanistic themes: women, children, labor, peace & diversity etc. his work underpins the causes he’s concerned about. Besides being known for his activism and community work Zia is also associated with renowned universities as a visiting faculty member for over 3 years now. His academic background is a Masters in Mass in Communication.