Noticed yearly on the last Monday in May, Memorial Day is put aside to honor the women and men who’ve died in service to our nation. Whereas Memorial Day didn’t change into an official nationwide vacation till 1971, its origins start with the Civil Warfare.
The quiz under, from the Ashbrook Middle at Ashland College, supplies a possibility so that you can take a look at your information of the historical past of and customs related to Memorial Day.
1. What was Memorial Day initially known as?
A. Warfare Remembrance Day
B. Ornament Day
C. Veterans Day
D. Armed Forces Day
2. In 1868, which former Union common issued an order that known as for a nationwide day of remembrance for many who died within the Civil Warfare?
A. John Logan
B. Nathaniel Banks
C. George McClellan
D. Theodore Barrett
3. Historic paperwork level to an earlier day of remembrance, in 1865, when freed slaves, U.S. Coloured Troops and native residents organized a ceremony to honor Union troops who died close to what metropolis?
A. Vicksburg, Miss.
B. Manassas, Va.
C. Gettysburg, Pa.
D. Charleston, S.C.
4. Different cities additionally declare to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. In 1966, Congress declared which metropolis because the official birthplace?
A. Sharpsburg, Md.
B. Springfield, Mo.
C. Waterloo, N.Y.
D. Galveston, Texas
5. Which of the next Memorial Day actions have been codified into regulation?
A. Issuance of an annual presidential proclamation
B. Nationwide Second of Remembrance
C. Flying flags at federal authorities buildings at half-staff from daybreak till 12 p.m.
D. The entire Above
6. The poppy is a Memorial Day and Veterans Day image of remembrance and is commonly worn on one’s clothes. Which of the next humanitarians is known as “The Poppy Woman” for her function in creating the custom?
A. Moina Michael
B. Dorothy Day
C. Clara Barton
D. Susan B. Anthony
7. Memorial Day was celebrated on May 30 till this 12 months, when the federal authorities designated that the vacation have to be held on the third Monday in Might?
8. Which well-known nationwide monument was devoted on Memorial Day in 1922?
A. Washington Monument
B. Jefferson Memorial
C. Lincoln Memorial
D. D.C. World Conflict I Memorial
9. Which U.S. senator and veteran campaigned for 25 years, till his demise in 2012, to have Memorial Day modified again to its unique date of May 30?
A. John McCain of Arizona
B. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii
C. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey
D. Ernest Hollings of South Carolina
10. Between 1988 and 2019, a veterans group staged a motorbike rally within the nation’s capital to attract consideration to Vietnam-era service personnel lacking in motion or prisoners of warfare. What was the identify of the group?
A. The Punishers
B. Iron Order
C. Buffalo Troopers
D. Rolling Thunder
Solutions: 1-B, 2-A, 3-D, 4-C, 5-D, 6-A, 7-C, 8-C, 9-B, 10-D